Sunday, April 10, 2011

21 Grams (2003)

21 Grams (2003)
Directed by: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
Starring: Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, Benicio Del Toro
Genre: Drama
Rated: R
“How many lives do we live? How many times do we die? They say we all lose 21 grams... at the exact moment of our death. Everyone. And how much fits into 21 grams? How much is lost? When do we lose 21 grams? How much goes with them? How much is gained? How much is gained? Twenty-one grams. The weight of a stack of five nickels. The weight of a hummingbird. A chocolate bar. How much did 21 grams weigh?”
- Paul Rivers (Sean Penn), “21 Grams”
A tragic hit-and-run accident brings together a critically ill mathematician (Sean Penn), a grieving mother that was once a drug addict (Naomi Watts) and an ex-con, now born-again Christian (Benicio Del Toro). A non-linear plot sequence shows glimpses into the lives of these characters as they are slowly brought together.
First and foremost, I have to mention that this film is not for everyone. The editing/sequence of events is non-linear. One scene will show you something, and the next could be from earlier in the story or far at the end – the scenes are completely out of order. I know there are a few people that don’t like this type of editing and would prefer to watch a movie straight through. Normally, I would agree with that, but I feel that this semi-unique style of editing really worked for this film. In linear form, I think the film would have lost a lot of its impact and it would have become a run-of-the-mill tragedy/revenge plot. It also kept the attention of the audience – they’re actively involved with the movie, trying to piece things together and understand what is going on. I, for one, enjoyed that. I love being forced to think, rather than have it all laid out in front of me.
The performances in this film were wonderful. Naomi Watts stole the show as the grieving mother. Her actions and emotions were spot-on and believable. I was truly moved by her performance – she truly was Cristina Peck, a woman struggling with her grief and willing to do anything to make it stop (like drinking and doing drugs). Del Toro also brought Jack Jordan to life. An ex-con who had mended his ways, found Jesus, and begun mentoring troubled teens, Jack begins to question his faith after the accident. This crisis of faith is huge for a man who has spent the previous two years devoted to Christ in penance for his sins, and Del Toro really nails it. Penn’s portrayal of the critically ill Paul Rivers isn’t quite as moving as the rest, but he is the glue that pulls the movie together, between the characters and the plot in general. His quote at the beginning of this review is what the movie ends on.
The movie isn’t perfect, however. While the music used was good for the most part, I found it too loud compared to the dialogue. I constantly had to adjust the volume on my television set so I could hear the dialogue but wouldn’t blow out my eardrums with the music. That could have just been the version I was watching – so don’t hold me on this. I really didn’t understand the use of Italian sounding music in the scene where Cristina is questioning the teenage gardener, however. Also, both Jack and Paul’s wives could be annoying at times. Neither one really understood what their husbands were going through, and would often fight about it, rather than sitting down and discussing it rationally. Lastly, the phrase “life goes on” was thrown out so much, it was hard to miss what the central theme of the film was.
Overall, this is a film about a person’s place in the interlocking web of life, and how it effects the lives that go on even when you’ve died. It was a moving film, made so by amazing performances (Del Toro was nominated for an Oscar) and an intriguing editing style. The underlying story and message just wouldn’t have worked as well without these two elements. I went into this film not knowing what to expect, and found something that aroused my emotions, kept me on my toes and made me think - a combination I do not find very often.
7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment